Idle-Free School Toolkit
Do your part to help kids breathe easier around schools.
Create an idle reduction policy today!
Establishing an idling reduction policy can help you:
Protect Student and Employee Health
- Vehicle exhaust contains more than 40 hazardous air pollutants and carcinogens.
- Studies show exposure to vehicle exhaust increases the risk of respiratory illness and cancer.
- Vehicle exhaust concentrates at ground level and can enter buildings through air intakes, doors and windows.
Improve Air Quality
- Idling contributes to major air quality issues in Louisville, including unhealthy levels of fine particulate matter, ground-level ozone, and toxic air contaminants.
- Cleaner air improves quality of life for all Louisvillians and can encourage for economic development.
- Taking action and establishing a policy is an easy way to raise your school’s “green” profile.
We can provide program support and materials at no cost to reduce unnecessary idling at your school including:
Idle Reduction Policy templates for:
Letters to communicate your policy to:
Information to help promote your policy including:
Please contact APCD by email or by phone at (502) 574-6472 for more information.
Make Fall a Clean Air Season
As leaves and temperatures fall, the pressure in your vehicle’s tires may be falling, too. Check your tires at least once a month and whenever tire indicator lights on your dashboard flash a warning.Read more...
There's a direct link between our air quality and children with asthma. Be a part of helping our community's asthmatic kids breathe easier by joining the KAIRE Network today.