Idle-Free School Toolkit
Do your part to help kids breathe easier around schools.
Create an idle reduction policy today!
Establishing an idling reduction policy can help you:
Protect Student and Employee Health
- Vehicle exhaust contains more than 40 hazardous air pollutants and carcinogens.
- Studies show exposure to vehicle exhaust increases the risk of respiratory illness and cancer.
- Vehicle exhaust concentrates at ground level and can enter buildings through air intakes, doors and windows.
Improve Air Quality
- Idling contributes to major air quality issues in Louisville, including unhealthy levels of fine particulate matter, ground-level ozone, and toxic air contaminants.
- Cleaner air improves quality of life for all Louisvillians and can encourage for economic development.
- Taking action and establishing a policy is an easy way to raise your school’s “green” profile.
We can provide program support and materials at no cost to reduce unnecessary idling at your school including:
Idle Reduction Policy templates for:
Letters to communicate your policy to:
Information to help promote your policy including:
Please contact APCD by email or by phone at (502) 574-7275 for more information.
Help Your Car When It's Cold
If you don’t need to go out in extremely cold temperatures, the best advice is to not go out at all. However, if you must drive, keep a few cold weather tips in mind.Read more...
There's a direct link between our air quality and children with asthma. Be a part of helping our community's asthmatic kids breathe easier by joining the KAIRE Network today.