Idle-Free School Toolkit
Do your part to help kids breathe easier around schools.
Create an idle reduction policy today!
Establishing an idling reduction policy can help you:
Protect Student and Employee Health
- Vehicle exhaust contains more than 40 hazardous air pollutants and carcinogens.
- Studies show exposure to vehicle exhaust increases the risk of respiratory illness and cancer.
- Vehicle exhaust concentrates at ground level and can enter buildings through air intakes, doors and windows.
Improve Air Quality
- Idling contributes to major air quality issues in Louisville, including unhealthy levels of fine particulate matter, ground-level ozone, and toxic air contaminants.
- Cleaner air improves quality of life for all Louisvillians and can encourage for economic development.
- Taking action and establishing a policy is an easy way to raise your school’s “green” profile.
We can provide program support and materials at no cost to reduce unnecessary idling at your school including:
Idle Reduction Policy templates for:
Letters to communicate your policy to:
Information to help promote your policy including:
Please contact APCD by email or by phone at (502) 574-6472 for more information.
New Standards May Bring More Alerts
We have already called multiple Air Quality Alerts this year, and have had nine days in which the community exceeded the National Ambient Air Quality Standards (aka NAAQS) for ozone. Does this mean that the air in our region is getting more polluted?Read more...
There's a direct link between our air quality and children with asthma. Be a part of helping our community's asthmatic kids breathe easier by joining the KAIRE Network today.